All You Need to Know About Preventive Dentistry
Preventive dentistry is the practice of maintaining good dental health. It involves caring for the teeth and keeping them healthy. This keeps enamel wear, cavities, and gum disease away and prevents caries. Preventive dental care combines routine dental cleanings and examinations with good oral hygiene practices such as flossing and brushing. Teeth need to be taken care of from childhood through your life.
Common Preventive Dentistry Services
Here are some of the services that will ensure your teeth are in perfect health:
- Regular oral examinations at least twice a year
- Professional teeth cleaning
- Routine X-rays
Before going for preventive care, check with your insurance provider to see if our dental plan covers the same.
What Role Should You Play in Preventive Dental Care?
Taking care of your oral health pretty much begins with you. Those simple dental habits will go a long way to reduce your risk of developing cavities, gingivitis, and gum disease. Here are some basics:
- Brush your teeth using a brush with soft bristles and fluoride toothpaste at least twice daily preferably in the morning and during the night. Your dentist will help you pick a suitable toothbrush and toothpaste and even instruct you on proper brushing.
- Floss once every day to remove any tooth stuck between your teeth before turning to plaque.
- After flossing, use mouthwash to remove the food particles
- Stay away from acidic foods. They can damage your enamel
- Take precaution when eating hard foods as they could chip or break your teeth
- Quit smoking and any tobacco-related products as it can cause cancer and further dental problems
- During contact sports, protect your teeth with a mouthguard.
- Avoid clenching and grinding of teeth by using a nightguard.
The Type of Dentist You Should Go to for Preventive Dental Care
Dentists have different specialties. For preventive care, go visit these types of
- General Dentists: These can be referred to as family dentists. For routine cleanings, exams and x-rays, visit the general dentist. They also do fillings and offer other basic dental services. One of their major roles is helping find the best dental care for you. They identify problems before they get serious and nurture healthier habits. In case you need any further are, they may recommend a dental specialist.
- Pediatric Dentists: These have specialized in kid’s dental care. As soon as your child’s first tooth appears, it is time to visit the pediatric dentist. They will continue seeing your kids until they are old enough to be sent to the family dentist. A kids’ dentist along with preventive care also provides specialized care if need be including fillings, oral surgery, and extractions.
Preventive Dentistry in Kids
At Aurora Dental Studio in Aurora, ON, our pediatric dentist offers the following preventive care services:
- Promotion of good oral habits like flossing and brushing
- Advice on thumb sucking and eating habits for good dental health
- Routine cleaning and examinations at least twice yearly
- Fluoride application
- Fitting Mouthguards
- Routine x-rays
- Referring patients to dental specialties if need be
Benefits of Preventive Dentistry
Preventive dental care aims at safeguarding your oral health and general body health at large. Here are the benefits that come with it:
- Reduces the chances of developing tooth decay, gum disease and other dental problems
- Helps in promoting good dental hygiene practices e.g. brushing and flossing
- Identifying dental issues during early stages minimizes cost and treatment
- Your dentist can carry out a full examination of your neck, mouth, jaw, etc. to look for any dental problems
- It helps bring down dental problems associated with some medical conditions such as diabetes, osteoporosis, eating disorders and some cancers
Who Can Benefit from Preventive Dentistry?
Anyone can benefit from this dental care. It is particularly beneficial in children as it allows their new primary teeth to come out healthy and strong. Decay in kids can be prevented by topical fluoride treatments and dental sealants. Aging adults should also practice preventive dentistry to avoid losing teeth and having to get false teeth. There is a link between your oral health and the general health of your body. This is so because the mouth breeds harmful bacteria and therefore keeping it clean is good for your general health.
How to Get Started
As earlier mentioned, preventive care starts with you. You should start by looking out for your dental health through good oral hygiene practices and finding the right dentist to walk you through the journey. Looking for preventive dentistry services in Aurora, ON? Visit us at Aurora Dental Studio today. Call us and book an appointment.